db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: release announcement text for 10.15.1.3
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2019 05:57:10 GMT
Hi Rick, thanks for putting this together!

I think that you could embellish this, it's pretty terse.

I think that we continue to face the challenge that we've discussed in
the past. For classic Derby users, and classic Java users (like me),
they may not have paid much attention to the Java 9 Module system.
They may not have much of a grasp as to why it's useful, and what it
provides, and why they might want to move toward it. (Even having
watched you struggle with it for 24 months, I'm still not sure I could
crisply state what you set out to achieve, and how we got there.)

For new users, they may just adopt the Java 9 way of things from the
start, I guess, although I'm not really speaking from experience here
since I'm such a dinosaur.

Anyway, since 10.15 is really all about "taking the big Java 9 step",
as it were, it seems like somehow we might want to take that challenge
on directly and talk about why this involved a bunch of rototilling,
and what the goals of that rototilling were, and where it takes us.

There. That's some feedback.

:)

thanks,

bryan