db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: switch to git?
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2018 01:34:51 GMT
I appreciate your willingness to contribute. Nevertheless, I think that

* git is a poor fit for Derby's culture of incremental development and
is, instead, better suited to large projects where teams work in
isolation from one another on large contributions

* git has the worst merge tool I have ever used

* git is extremely confusing for developers coming from a subversion
mind set (like myself)

* everyone I know who uses git has ended up shooting themselves in the foot

Here is how I rank (in descending order) the repository management tools
I have used:

* subversion (simple model, good merge tool)
* mercurial (complex model but good merge tool)
* perforce (lousy merge tool)
* clearcase (overarchitected)
* git (overarchitected, lousy merge tool)

My $0.02,
-Rick