db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@gmail.com>
Subject compiling production jars with line number information
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 02:09:03 GMT
A long time ago, Kristian proposed that we compile the insane,
production jars with line number information, but not full debug
information. The idea would be to get more information out of production
stack traces at the cost of increasing the size of the jar files. Users
have renewed this discussion on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5543.

I have tried compiling the insane, production engine at debug level
"lines,source". That is what is needed in order to coax line numbers out
of stack traces. Here is what the engine jar weighs at various debug levels:

4.5M   full debug

3.7M   "lines,source"

3.2M   no debug

0.5M meg is a significant extra bloat on resource-constrained devices.
Nevertheless, I think that the expense is worth paying in order to gain
the benefit of more useful stack traces.

I recommend making this change. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
-Rick