db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@gmail.com>
Subject next derby release
Date Sat, 17 Jun 2017 15:11:56 GMT
Someone on the user list has asked about our plans for upcoming 
releases. Here are my thoughts:

o I was planning on managing a 10.14.1 release which would build and run 
cleanly on JDK 9. The idea would be that the code would not build or run 
on previous versions of the JDK, due to our limited resources and the 
complexity of building on multiple JDKs. I feel that it would be too 
risky to release 10.14.1 right after JDK 9 goes GA on 2017-09-21 (see 
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk9-dev/2017-June/005867.html). 
I would want to wait for the first maintenance release of JDK 9, which 
would probably come a couple quarters later. That means a GA for 10.14.1 
sometime in 2018.

o That's too long to wait for a new Derby release. I think that we need 
a 10.13.2 maintenance release in the interim. I have created a webpage 
to track that effort: 
https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThirteenTwoRelease

I am happy to volunteer to manage a 10.13.2 release sometime in 
September. I'm also happy if someone else wants to volunteer to manage 
the release for an earlier date.

Does anyone have opinions about what would motivate an earlier vs. later 
date?

Thanks,

-Rick


Mime
View raw message