db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@gmail.com>
Subject sunsetting support for Java 8
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2017 01:37:24 GMT
My experience working on DERBY-6856 suggests that it will be very
difficult to support building Derby with both JDK 9 and earlier versions
of the JDK. In previous releases, we maintained some very complicated
machinery for using old JDKs in order to build Derby jars which could
run on both old and modern Java versions. It is hard to sustain that
complexity given our small number of active contributors.

I propose that 10.14.1
(https://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourteenOneRelease) be the
last release which runs on Java 8. The 10.15.1 release would be compiled
into Java 9 byte code and only run on that platform and later versions
of Java. We would announce this change in the 10.14.1 release notes.

What are your thoughts? If the community seems willing, I will call a
vote to approve this change.

Thanks,
-Rick