db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDK 9 EA Build 167 and JDK 8u152 build 03 are available on jdk.java.net
Date Sat, 29 Apr 2017 19:08:02 GMT
Thanks, Rory. When I compile Derby using JDK 9 build 167, I see several
instances of the following warning:

    warning: [deprecation] finalize() in Object has been deprecated

The javadoc for java.lang.Object.finalize() suggests that affected
classes should migrate their finalization to a coding pattern based on
the newly introduced java.lang.ref.Cleaner class. I am hesitant to try
my hand at this without more guidance. Can you point me at a tutorial or
list of best practices for implementing Cleaner-based finalization?

Thanks,
-Rick