db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Switching wikis?
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2016 01:03:54 GMT
On 10/19/16, 4:20 PM, Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have an unbelievably fabulous collection of knowledge in the
> Derby wiki at http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby
>
> However, when I was working with the wiki during the 10.13
> release process, I found it rather frustrating, because the wiki
> is very slow to respond and even slower to edit.
>
> Sometimes I would have to wait several minutes for the wiki
> to respond to a page edit or page save request, and I would
> routinely have to wait 30 seconds or more to navigate between pages.
>
> I contacted infra@, and they responded with this:
>
> > Unfortunately, the Moinmoin backend for wiki.apache.org doesn’t
> > scale well, and performance issues are a common problem. We
> > suggest moving over to our Confluence-based wiki site,
> cwiki.apache.org.
> > We can assist you with this transition.
> >
> > There is very little we can do about the performance of
> > wiki.apache.org. The stop-and-go slowness issues are usually
> > due to crawlers, spam-bots, or other nefarious entities which
> > cause the existing server to bog down due to the architecture of Moin.
>
> Has this issue been discussed among the Derby community before?
>
> Do folks have an opinion about what we should do here?
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

Thanks for looking into this, Bryan. Wiki edits do seem to take longer
to commit. I looked at a couple Confluence wikis. They have an
attractive layout and use a left pane as a page index, much like our
html doc set. I don't know how much work it would take to convert our
website to exploit that navigation pane.

Thanks,
-Rick