db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How should one handle a test case that when it fails will cause a deadlock in Derby Netwok Server
Date Sat, 25 Jun 2016 00:18:33 GMT
> my test that I added to XATest.java causes the deadlock and the watchdog detects the deadlock
and then does a System.exit(1) to kill the test for now.

Brett, I think that's a wonderful approach!

Frankly, I think it is probably more than is strictly-speaking necessary;
as I understand your proposed fix, the deadlock would only arise in the
test if your fix were to suffer a regression, right?

That is, assuming the bug stays fixed, the tests would not deadlock.

And, if the bug re-occurs, the test would deadlock, but even if it were
to hang at that point, the developer running the tests would then
notice that the tests had hung, and would investigate, and so forth.

But it's even nicer that you have done this extra work to detect that
and kill the test.

I suppose the only trick will be, what to set the timeout at?

I know that machines can vary WIDELY in their performance of the Derby test
suites, so choosing a timeout that is long enough to not cause false
positives (claiming there was a deadlock when in fact the test was merely
running slowly), but still short enough to terminate the tests in a
responsive fashion might be a bit tricky.

Anyway, not sure any of this helps, but wanted to give you some feedback
on the messages you sent.

thanks,

bryan