db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Anjana Prakash <anjana.prak...@actian.com>
Subject RE: Writing user defined System procedure
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2015 18:19:31 GMT
Thanks Rick. Sure will use apache jira forum to raise this request.

Anjana.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Hillegas [mailto:rick.hillegas@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2015 8:21 PM
To: Anjana Prakash <anjana.prakash@actian.com>
Cc: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Writing user defined System procedure

On 12/7/15 9:54 PM, Anjana Prakash wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Thanks for follow-up. Please let me know the process of raising an enhancement request.
Hi Anjana,

Nothing fancy. Just log a Derby JIRA (I think you already know how to do this). Set the type
field to "Improvement". For this issue, I would set the component field to SQL. In the detailed
description box, please describe what you are trying to do and why the existing set of Derby
features isn't adequate.

Thanks,
-Rick
> Thanks,
> Anjana.

code into packages outside the org.apache.derby namespace. For security reasons, user code
may not call Derby code when running inside the Derby engine.

> Exceptions are allowed for code which is in the
> org.apache.derby.optional.* and org.apache.derby.vti packages of Derby's public api:
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.12/publishedapi/index.html. This policy is enforced
by StaticMethodCallNode.bindExpressionMinion().

> The DERBY-PROPERTIES error you are seeing is related to a special bulk-import optimization.
That optimization can't be invoked from user code either. So you may need to adjust your cloned
code.

> You are welcome to log an enhancement request for moving the code you need into the public
api.

> Hope this helps,
> -Rick
>
> On 12/6/15 11:25 PM, Anjana Prakash wrote:
>> More analysis indicates that
>> In scenario where a user defined system procedure calls derby class
>> org/apache/derby/imp l/load/Import. It fails with Class Not found
>> exception Because the Jarloader.java restricts only certain package
>> to be accessible and raises class not found exception for package
>> org/apache/derby/imp l *
>>
>> I tried another alternative where in system procedure are not registered using  install_jar
instead define as classpath.
>> However this fails with exception " ERROR 42X01: Syntax error: DERBY-PROPERTIES"
>>

>> Need ability where in user defined function can call derby class and reuse the existing
functionality.

>> Thanks,
>> Anjana.

l/load/Import' was thrown while evaluating an expression.
>> ERROR XJ001: Java exception: 'org/apache/derby/impl/load/Import: java.lang.NoCla
ssDefFoundError'.
>> ERROR XJ001: Java exception: 'org.apache.derby.impl.load.Import: java.lang.Class
NotFoundException'.

>> Thanks
>> Anjana.

has to do with CLASSPATH issues, and specifically with cases where there is a subtle difference
between the classes that you compiled against, and the classes that you are running with.

>> For example, maybe you compiled your system procedure against a0 new version of Derby,
but somehow when you are running you are running with an older version of derby.jar.