db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: debugging derby code
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2015 05:12:23 GMT
On 12/1/2015 8:41 PM, Anjana Prakash wrote:
> From my installed folder I start derby network server. Then from my java code call import.importTable
api of derby which I expected to come at the breakpoint in my derby code

I think I understand, but maybe not, because I don't really
know what you mean by "my derby code".

Are you trying to debug the Derby engine code itself?

Or are you trying to debug your application, which is just
making JDBC calls to Derby?

If you are trying to debug your application, then it should
be no different than debugging any other Java application, see:

http://help.eclipse.org/mars/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.jdt.doc.user%2FgettingStarted%2Fqs-13.htm

But if you are trying to debug the Derby engine code itself,
then it is running in a separate JVM process, so you have
to start the Derby Network Server itself with
the JPDA flags set, and then you have to use the Eclipse
debugger functionality to connect to that separate process
in order to debug the Derby Network Server, see:

https://meetmrdeepak.wordpress.com/2010/09/17/debug-with-eclipse-for-external-java-processes/

http://help.eclipse.org/mars/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.jdt.doc.user%2Fconcepts%2Fcremdbug.htm

thanks,

bryan