db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From mike matrigali <mikema...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: testing 10.12.1.1
Date Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:51:29 GMT
I am unlikely to have time to help, but wanted to mention a few things:

I don't think we have done the following for multiple releases:
upgrade and compatibility (ask Kathey)  - I think it involved running a past test jar against
a current release jar and looking at the failures.  When a lot of stuff was going into the
release
the took weeks of effort and mostly were "acceptable" failures where different error messages
were
thrown now vs before.

Knut did a test by hand that I thought was valuable, but not sure how he did it.  He took
a db built
at previous release level and then ran full set of current built test jars vs current db.
 Not sure if
he did soft upgrade or hard upgrade or both.  The good catches were identifying places where
new
code did not understand the format on disk of old stuff.  i think the issue was always stored
plan
related and the fix was just to make sure that the new release caused the problem thing on
disk to
be invalidate and rebuilt.

On 9/26/2015 12:54 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's help so far in testing 10.12.1.1. There are still some untested
checklist items at
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenTwelveOneChecklist. Also, it would be good to see
some more platform test results at

--