db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Hillegas <rhille...@comcast.net>
Subject [VOTE] Sunsetting support for Java 7
Date Sat, 05 Sep 2015 15:02:11 GMT
Please vote on the following proposed policy for supported platforms.
The polls close at 5:00 pm San Francisco time on Saturday September 12.

A) The 10.12 release notes will tell users that 10.12 is the last
release which supports Java 7. Note that we have already agreed to
sunset support for Java 6.

B) The 10.13 release will support Java 9 and 8 as well as Java 8 compact
profile 2. After releasing 10.12, the development trunk will no longer
support Java 7.

C) We expect that maintenance releases on a branch will continue to
support the same Java versions as the initial feature release cut from
that branch. We will document this on the wiki.

Adopting this policy would result in the following changes to the 10.13
trunk:

I) Removing build support for Java 7.

II) Purging user doc references to Java 7.

We do not anticipate that this policy will require any changes to user code.