db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby - How to enrich database functions with Java Library
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2015 21:31:15 GMT
On 3/2/15 10:45 PM, BalNagendra wrote:
> Dear All,
> I am having the following problem:
> Derby is good but functions which are available for database are not many.
> I wanted to dump a character of its Hex value, there was no function. I had
> to write a Java Program to do the same. It is a tedious process of loading
> the function JAR to database and they create a database mapping to it.
> Java has rich set of functions under Math, IO and UTIL libraries. Is there
> any way to use them as Derby Library. I was trying to avoid mapping each of
> these functions to Derby functions.
> Thanks and regards
> --
This is an interesting problem. Take a look at the code which implements
the databaseMetaData optional tool:
That code introspects a Java interface and declares functions and table
functions for all of the methods in the interface.

You may hit some speed bumps with methods which take Object parameters.
But, provided that those Objects implement Serializable, you should be
able to declare user-defined types for them.

Hope this helps,

View raw message