db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java 6 vs. 7
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:50:11 GMT
There are several aspects. In the language,  I like try with with resources, type inference,
 and multi - catch clauses.

I am in a special situation in that I am working on a custom derby build for a special use
case. Using one level of jdbc and java makes the whole task easier to develop,  build and
in general deal with.

Gary

<m.v.lunteren@gmail.com> </div><div>Date:08/28/2014  14:31  (GMT-05:00)
Re: Java 6 vs. 7 </div><div>

I looked but cannot find any official EOS statements or dates for Java 6 from IBM.

I found that Java 5 by IBM had a EOS(or perhaps EOL?) in 2009 - just like Oracle did; which
does not imply a commitment regarding Java 6, however.

Either way, I think it's fair to deprecate Java 6 in a future feature release - I like Rick's
proposal.

Was there some specific functionality that is of concern/interest here?

Myrna