db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject text of release announcement for 10.11.1.1
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2014 16:33:52 GMT
Here's what I have so far. Please help me improve this. I plan to
announce the release in the next day or two.

Thanks,
-Rick

--------------------------------

The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce feature release 10.11.1.1.

Apache Derby is a sub-project of the Apache DB project. Derby is a pure
Java relational database engine which conforms to the ISO/ANSI SQL and
JDBC standards. Derby aims to be easy for developers and end-users to
work with.

Derby 10.11.1.1 can be obtained from the Derby download site:

    http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html.

Derby 10.11.1.1 contains the following new features:

     * MERGE statement - MERGE is a single, join-driven statement which
INSERTs, UPDATEs, and DELETEs rows.
     * Deferrable constraints - Constraint enforcement can now be
deferred, typically to the end of a transaction.
     * WHEN clause in CREATE TRIGGER - An optional WHEN clause has been
added which determines which rows fire a trigger.
     * Rolling log file - The Derby diagnostic log can now be split
across a sequence of files.
     * Experimental Lucene support - Derby text columns can now be
indexed and queried via Apache Lucene.
     * Simple case expression - The "simple" and "extended" syntax for
CASE expressions has been added.
     * Better concurrency for identity columns - The concurrency of
identity columns has been boosted.
     * New ij HoldForConnection command - A new ij command has been
added to change the default cursor holdability.
     * Standard syntax for altering column nullability - Standard syntax
has been added for altering the nullability of columns.

In addition, Derby 10.11.1.1 contains many bug, security, and
documentation fixes.

Please try out this new release.