db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject RE: Question on how to debug two instances of derby off the trunk
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 19:11:12 GMT
So it seems that unless a release build it built, then the scripts are not in the proper place.
 I suppose a snapshot build will be similar to a release build and I have built a snapshot
build before although I do get confused about "sane" and "insane" as the snapshot build complains
when I have no "insane".  Maybe some pointers on "sane" and "insane" and their relationship
to builds would be useful.

Appreciate the time you take to respond Rick!

Brett

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Hillegas [mailto:rick.hillegas@oracle.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:30 AM
To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
Cc: Bergquist, Brett
Subject: Re: Question on how to debug two instances of derby off the trunk

On 4/22/14 7:31 AM, Bergquist, Brett wrote:

> I am starting on a project to add the capability to the derby
> replication to be able to acquire the database to replicate
> automatically by the slave and I would like to be able to run two
> instances of the network server so that I can debug the protocol
> between the two when the slave is going to acquire a database from the
> master.
>
> I guess my question is relating to what to build and where to run it
> from the source. I have checked out the trunk of derby and am able to
> build and ran all of the tests successfully. I would like to run the
> "startNetworkServer" script to run the built binaries but I don't know
> where the built "startNetworkServer" script is. There is the "bin"
> directory right at the root of the checkout but that seems to only
> have the Windows scripts. There is the "generated/bin" directory but
> the "generated" directory does not seem to have everything else needed.
>
> So what is the proper build targets that I need to build and where
> would the script that I need be located once that is done?

Hi Brett,

I think it works this way:

1) The source for the Unix versions of the scripts lives in bin/templates

2) The source versions are transmogrified by the makebinscript target in the top level build.xml.
The transmogrified versions are dropped into generated/bin

3) When we build a release, the targets in tools/release/build.xml build a bin directory which
includes the Windows scripts from bin and the Unix scripts from generated/bin.

Hope this helps,
-Rick