db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Question on how to debug two instances of derby off the trunk
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:34:20 GMT
On 4/22/14 12:11 PM, Bergquist, Brett wrote:
> So it seems that unless a release build it built, then the scripts are not in the proper
place.  I suppose a snapshot build will be similar to a release build and I have built a snapshot
build before although I do get confused about "sane" and "insane" as the snapshot build complains
when I have no "insane".  Maybe some pointers on "sane" and "insane" and their relationship
to builds would be useful.
Hi Brett,

I haven't tried the snapshot target by itself in a long time. However,
the main release process does call snapshot eventually. It's likely that
standalone snapshot is broken. Certainly the instruction here are
broken: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/SnapshotsAndQuickBuilds. Those
instruction tell you to invoke the prepareforrelease target. But I think
that target will fail if you don't have commit privilege. You may be
able to get it to work by setting debug.release.build=true.

Alternatively, you could try generating a full release (here again you
will need to set debug.release.build=true). It's a heavyweight process
because it builds the docs as well the code. And it requires you to give
a passphrase for a gpg key in order to sign the artifacts.

The terms sane and insane are very confusing. A sane build is one with
debug information and an insane build is one without debug information.

It's unclear to me why you need something as heavyweight as a snapshot
or a full release if you just need to test your changes. Maybe some
simpler approach would be more productive.

Hope this helps,
-Rick
> Appreciate the time you take to respond Rick!
>
> Brett

build.xml. The transmogrified versions are dropped into generated/bin

> 3) When we build a release, the targets in tools/release/build.xml build a bin directory
which includes the Windows scripts from bin and the Unix scripts from generated/bin.