db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Dag H. Wanvik" <dag.wan...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Question on how to debug two instances of derby off the trunk
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:34:36 GMT

On 22. april 2014 16:31, Bergquist, Brett wrote:

> I am starting on a project to add the capability to the derby
> replication to be able to acquire the database to replicate
> automatically by the slave and I would like to be able to run two
> instances of the network server so that I can debug the protocol
> between the two when the slave is going to acquire a database from the
> master.
>
> I guess my question is relating to what to build and where to run it
> from the source.   I have checked out the trunk of derby and am able
> to build and ran all of the tests successfully.    I would like to run
> the "startNetworkServer" script to run the built binaries but I don't
> know where the built "startNetworkServer" script is. There is the
> "bin" directory right at the root of the checkout but that seems to
> only have the Windows scripts.   There is the "generated/bin"
> directory but the "generated" directory does not seem to have
> everything else needed.
>
> So what is the proper build targets that I need to build and where
> would the script that I need be located once that is done?
>
> If someone can give me pointers on what they would do to run both a
> derby master and derby slave under a debugger that would be really useful.

I use Netbeans to debug multiple Java processes; works pretty good IMHO.
You can attach to a running VM or launch it from the debugger (in
multiple VM/debug sessions) and you can control which VMs/threads to
focus on (break, stop, start, resume, inspect state). Instead of using
the scripts to start the server(s), you could start them using the "java
-jar derbyrun.jar server <command>" method to be able to start them from
Netbeans,

Thanks,
Dag