db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dyre.Tjeldv...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Derby Build Issue
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:58:46 GMT
On 01/26/2014 08:53 PM, Madushanka Fonseka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been working with Apache Derby for few months to innovate  Derby
> to support queries based on fuzzylogy. There I had to create an external
> jar which I suppose to use in Derby. In the ant build file I gave the
> correct references so  buildsource worked fine. When I run the buildjars
> it gave the successful message but when I load the created derby.jar in
> a client app it give the class not found error.

Let me see if I understand correctly:
You added a dependency on x.jar to the buildsource target so that you're
able to build your modified files. But when you run with derby.jar on
the classpath you don't have the classes from x.jar?

Admittedly I'm no ant-guru but I do think the content of derby.jar is
determined by running the class org.apache.derbyBuild.classlister from
ant to create list of files to include. See the derbyjar target in
build.xml.

That class has the following comment:

"	A tool that generates a list of required classes from a
	set of properties files. The value of any property within a property
	file that starts with 'derby.module.' is taken as a class name.
	That class name and all the clases it requires are listed to
	System.out, to facilitate building a zip file. Classes that
	start with 'java.' or 'javax.' are not listed and are not
	checked for dependent classes."

But why does the content of the external jar have to go into derby.jar?
Why not just add it to the classpath?

A final note; if you plan to contribute your work back to Apache, which
would be great :), and the external jar contains IP/Copyright/Licence
which you cannot donate, I do not think Apache rules permit including
those files in derby.jar (or any other jar distributed with Derby).

HTH,

Dyre