db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Java 5 'ification
Date Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:02:02 GMT
Brett Wooldridge <brett.wooldridge@gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe I missed it, but has there been discussion of conversion of the
> codebase to take advantage of Java 5 syntax (generics, StringBuilder,
> for-loops, etc.), as well as collections and concurrent classes?

After the compiler level on trunk was changed to 1.6 a few months ago,
there was an effort to rewrite some of the code to use generics. That
effort was limited to getting the code to compile without warnings, so I
think there's still room for improvement.

There hasn't been any systematic effort to replace StringBuffer with
StringBuilder or to use for-each loops. I think some of them were fixed
as we ran into them while fixing the compiler warnings, but there are
still many left.

As to concurrent classes, we have tried to introduce them gradually over
many years already to help on the concurrency bottlenecks that we've
been aware of. If you're seeing more bottlenecks where they might help,
that would be useful to have tracked in JIRA. In some cases, even if
there's no actual performance problem, the concurrency classes may still
provide benefit by simplifying the code. That would be useful too.

> Would
> these kinds of changes be handled class-by-class, package-by-package,
> or closures of related classes through opening JIRA defects?

Any of those should work. I guess it depends on how big a chunk the
reporter feels motivated to start working on. :)

--
Knut Anders