db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Is there some way an external class can find where derby.system.home points to
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2013 20:59:21 GMT
On 9/6/2013 5:35 AM, Bergquist, Brett wrote:
> I finally broke down and wrote RollingFileStream which provides (and borrows) most of
the functionality of java.logger.FileHandler to provide a rolling file stream.   Having derby.log
grow forever on long running systems is just not acceptable anymore ;)   Realistically, I
would like to provide this back to the derby community somehow as I found many requests for
such a feature while searching and many references to using "derby.stream.error.method" or
"derby.stream.error.field", but no good implementation of such.

> I built a DerbyUtil.jar which the class along with a configurator class which can read
a "derbylog.properties" file for configuration information.   I would like to locate this
file at the same place as "derby.properties" so the configurator needs to find out what "derby.system.home"
is set to.   Because of the default security policy installed by the network server and because
my DerbyUtil.jar is separate, it cannot access the property.   Create and installing my own
security policy is also a bit of a pain as the network server is started by Glassfish and
there really is not much opportunity to pass startup parameters.

> So is there someway to locate the location that  "derby.ssystem.home" is pointing to
in my class that is being invoke by "derby.stream.error.field"?
You can read the system property derby.system.home and if not set use
the property user.dir. That said, I think it would be good to
incorporate this functionality into the core product and then the
properties could go into derby.properties.  It seems to me there was a
Jira issue for this, but I can't find it right now.

> How about a proposal that "derby.stream.error.field" can point to a static method that
can take 0 or 1 parameters and if one parameter, it is passed the value of "derby.system.home"
as a String.  This seems to be a simple change and could easily be accommodated by first using
reflection to find the method that takes 0 parameters and if not found, retry with finding
the method that takes one string parameter?