db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject Re: A couple of questions on building derby on the trunk and using that built version
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:34:04 GMT
Thanks Rick I appreciate the time you take to answer my questions!

On Sep 25, 2013, at 9:45 PM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Brett,
>
> Some responses inline...
>
> On 9/25/13 5:55 PM, Bergquist, Brett wrote:
>> When trying to open an existing database with the derby that I built from the trunk
I get:

class loader sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader@39172e08, see the next exception for details.
>> ERROR XCW00: Unsupported upgrade from '10.9' to '10.11 beta'.
> This is a safety mechanism to prevent someone from accidentally soft or
> hard upgrading a database to the rev level of the development trunk.
> There are a couple reasons that you don't want people to do this:
>
> 1) Soft-downgrade from the development trunk version may not have been
> adequately tested.
>
> 2) The next major feature release will have the same major release
> number as the development trunk. Since the work on that release is not
> complete, upgrade trajectories are not well defined and follow-on
> upgrade to the next release may not work properly.
I understand this problem exactly as I just had to go through this when providing what we
cal an Engineering Build  (EB) of our software to a customer for their lab use and then provided
an General Availability (GA) build with the same version.   Of course the customer wants this
to be installed seemlessly but we typically do not support upgrades from one EB build to another
or a EB build to a GA build.
>> when I connect.   What do I need to do to let derby know that it is okay to open
this database (it is just a test database that can be easily rebuilt)?
> You can subvert this check by specifying the following system property
> when you boot the jvm:
>
> -Dderby.database.allowPreReleaseUpgrade=true
>> Second question.  I see an ant target called "snapshot" which I execute and it appears
to build a snapshot distribution under "releases".  If I expand the ".zip" file out however,
I don't see the the "startNetworkServer" or "stopNetworkServer" scripts (I do see that Windows
.bat versions but not the Unix versions).  Note I am building on OSX.  Should these not be
present?
> Snapshots don't necessarily contain all the bits that regular releases
> do. The contents of snapshots are not very well defined. It has been a
> long time since the community has vetted a snapshot and the
> snapshot-generating machinery may be rusty now. More information on
> snapshots can be found here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/SnapshotsAndQuickBuilds

What is the recommended way of build a engineering "release" of all of the "bits" so that
it can be installed just like a real release?   A lot of times, I wish to just rename a copy
of derby on a test system (copy of a production system) and then drop in a patched version
and restart.  It is easer for me if the patched version that I want to drop in will be a complete
release?  Maybe there is some magic in the build process that I have not found yet as I though
that maybe the snapshot could be it.