db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Tony Brusseau (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (DERBY-6045) in list multi-probe by primary key not chosen on tables with >256 rows
Date Thu, 23 May 2013 20:23:20 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6045?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13665612#comment-13665612
] 

Tony Brusseau commented on DERBY-6045:
--------------------------------------

I tried the SELECT version of the DELETE statement:

SELECT *  FROM kb.mt_gaf_top_level_term_counts WHERE (term = 1407374883554049) OR (pred =
1407374883554049) OR (mt = 1407374883554049) 

It looks like it is doing a table scan as well.

Number of pages visited=67
Number of rows qualified=418
Number of rows visited=29498

Note: this was tried without the Mamta's patches for this bug so far. However, I am using
table statics which would avoid this bug, so I'm pretty sure this is still a real issue.

Here is the query plan:

Thu May 23 15:17:22 CDT 2013 Thread[DRDAConnThread_3,5,main] (XID = 80859), (SESSIONID = 1),
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM (SELECT *  FROM kb.mt_gaf_top_level_term_counts WHERE (term = 1407374883554049)
OR (pred = 1407374883554049) OR (mt = 1407374883554049)) C2668 ******* Project-Restrict ResultSet
(4):
Number of opens = 1
Rows seen = 1
Rows filtered = 0
restriction = false
projection = true
	constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
	open time (milliseconds) = 0
	next time (milliseconds) = 0
	close time (milliseconds) = 0
	restriction time (milliseconds) = 0
	projection time (milliseconds) = 0
	optimizer estimated row count: 1.00
	optimizer estimated cost: 12365.71
Source result set:
	Scalar Aggregate ResultSet:
	Number of opens = 1
	Rows input = 418
		constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
		open time (milliseconds) = 0
		next time (milliseconds) = 0
		close time (milliseconds) = 0
		optimizer estimated row count: 14751.50
		optimizer estimated cost: 12365.71
	Index Key Optimization = false
	Source result set:
		Project-Restrict ResultSet (3):
		Number of opens = 1
		Rows seen = 418
		Rows filtered = 0
		restriction = false
		projection = true
			constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
			open time (milliseconds) = 0
			next time (milliseconds) = 0
			close time (milliseconds) = 0
			restriction time (milliseconds) = 0
			projection time (milliseconds) = 0
			optimizer estimated row count: 14751.50
			optimizer estimated cost: 12365.71
		Source result set:
			Table Scan ResultSet for MT_GAF_TOP_LEVEL_TERM_COUNTS at read committed isolation level
using share row locking chosen by the optimizer
			Number of opens = 1
			Rows seen = 418
			Rows filtered = 0
			Fetch Size = 1
				constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
				open time (milliseconds) = 0
				next time (milliseconds) = 0
				close time (milliseconds) = 0
				next time in milliseconds/row = 0

			scan information:
				Bit set of columns fetched=All
				Number of columns fetched=6
				Number of pages visited=67
				Number of rows qualified=418
				Number of rows visited=29498
				Scan type=heap
				start position:
					null
				stop position:
					null
				qualifiers:
					Column[1][0] Id: 3
					Operator: =
					Ordered nulls: false
					Unknown return value: false
					Negate comparison result: false
					Column[1][1] Id: 2
					Operator: =
					Ordered nulls: false
					Unknown return value: false
					Negate comparison result: false
					Column[1][2] Id: 1
					Operator: =
					Ordered nulls: false
					Unknown return value: false
					Negate comparison result: false
				optimizer estimated row count: 14751.50
				optimizer estimated cost: 12365.71


                
> in list multi-probe by primary key not chosen on tables with >256 rows
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: DERBY-6045
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6045
>             Project: Derby
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: SQL
>    Affects Versions: 10.9.1.0, 10.10.1.1
>         Environment: Linux Debian 6.0.5
>            Reporter: Tony Brusseau
>            Assignee: Mamta A. Satoor
>             Fix For: 10.8.3.1, 10.9.2.2, 10.10.1.2, 10.11.0.0
>
>         Attachments: DERBY6045_patch1_diff.txt, DERBY6045_patch2_diff.txt, optimizerTraceOutputFor10_8.txt,
optimizerTraceOutputForTrunk.txt, optimizerTraceOutputWithUpdateStatsFor10_8.txt, optimizerTraceOutputWithUpdateStatsForTrunk.txt,
table.del
>
>
> I have a table with a long integer primary key field and 11 million rows. I seem to be
unable to load large chunks of rows via id in a reasonably efficient manner.
>   1. If I do individual lookups via the primary key, then a fast indexed lookup occurs.
However, if I do large numbers of such queries, then the time is overwhelmed by round-trip
overhead which makes everything incredibly slow.
>   2. If I use a single query with a disjunction of the primary keys of interest,  then
a table scan is performed (even if the clause only contains 1-3 items), which walks over 11
million rows...incredibly inefficient.
>   3. If I use an IN clause, then a table scan is performed (even if the clause only contains
1-3 items), which walks over 11 million rows...incredibly inefficient.
> I'm guessing that this might have something to do with the fact that I'm using large
integers and really big numbers that don't start anywhere at or about 1 for my keys. Could
this possibly be confusing the optimizer?
> Here are the unlimited query plans for the 3 cases that I enumerated:
> *********************************************************************************************
> [EL Fine]: 2013-01-17 11:09:53.384--ServerSession(582235416)--Connection(1430986883)--Thread(Thread["Initial
Lisp Listener",5,SubL Thread Group])--SELECT TERM_ID, ARG0, ARG1, ARG2, ARG3, FORMULA_HASH,
FORMULA_LENGTH, FORMULA_TYPE, KB_STATUS FROM KB.FORMULA_TERM WHERE (TERM_ID = ?)
> 	bind => [2251799814033500]
> Thu Jan 17 11:09:53 CST 2013 Thread["Initial Lisp Listener",5,SubL Thread Group] (XID
= 4711079), (SESSIONID = 3), SELECT TERM_ID, ARG0, ARG1, ARG2, ARG3, FORMULA_HASH, FORMULA_LENGTH,
FORMULA_TYPE, KB_STATUS FROM KB.FORMULA_TERM WHERE (TERM_ID = ?) ******* Project-Restrict
ResultSet (3):
> Number of opens = 1
> Rows seen = 1
> Rows filtered = 0
> restriction = false
> projection = true
> 	constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	open time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	next time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	close time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	restriction time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	projection time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	optimizer estimated row count: 1.00
> 	optimizer estimated cost: 6.59
> Source result set:
> 	Index Row to Base Row ResultSet for FORMULA_TERM:
> 	Number of opens = 1
> 	Rows seen = 1
> 	Columns accessed from heap = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8}
> 		constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		open time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		next time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		close time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		optimizer estimated row count: 1.00
> 		optimizer estimated cost: 6.59
> 		Index Scan ResultSet for FORMULA_TERM using constraint KB_FORMULA_TERM_TERM_ID_PK at
read committed isolation level using share row locking chosen by the optimizer
> 		Number of opens = 1
> 		Rows seen = 1
> 		Rows filtered = 0
> 		Fetch Size = 1
> 			constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			open time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			next time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			close time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			next time in milliseconds/row = 0
> 		scan information:
> 			Bit set of columns fetched=All
> 			Number of columns fetched=2
> 			Number of deleted rows visited=0
> 			Number of pages visited=3
> 			Number of rows qualified=1
> 			Number of rows visited=1
> 			Scan type=btree
> 			Tree height=-1
> 			start position:
> 				>= on first 1 column(s).
> 				Ordered null semantics on the following columns: 
> 			stop position:
> 				> on first 1 column(s).
> 				Ordered null semantics on the following columns: 
> 			qualifiers:
> 				None
> 			optimizer estimated row count: 1.00
> 			optimizer estimated cost: 6.59
> [EL Fine]: 2013-01-17 11:01:00.732--ServerSession(1237006689)--Connection(927179828)--Thread(Thread["Initial
Lisp Listener",5,SubL Thread Group])--SELECT TERM_ID, ARG0, ARG1, ARG2, ARG3, FORMULA_HASH,
FORMULA_LENGTH, FORMULA_TYPE, KB_STATUS FROM KB.FORMULA_TERM WHERE (((TERM_ID = ?) OR (TERM_ID
= ?)) OR (TERM_ID = ?))
> 	bind => [2251799814033500, 2251799814033501, 2251799814033499]
> Thu Jan 17 11:01:10 CST 2013 Thread["Initial Lisp Listener",5,SubL Thread Group] (XID
= 4711078), (SESSIONID = 3), SELECT TERM_ID, ARG0, ARG1, ARG2, ARG3, FORMULA_HASH, FORMULA_LENGTH,
FORMULA_TYPE, KB_STATUS FROM KB.FORMULA_TERM WHERE (((TERM_ID = ?) OR (TERM_ID = ?)) OR (TERM_ID
= ?)) ******* Project-Restrict ResultSet (3):
> Number of opens = 1
> Rows seen = 3
> Rows filtered = 0
> restriction = false
> projection = true
> 	constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	open time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	next time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	close time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	restriction time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	projection time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	optimizer estimated row count: 1176730.30
> 	optimizer estimated cost: 5931065.54
> Source result set:
> 	Project-Restrict ResultSet (2):
> 	Number of opens = 1
> 	Rows seen = 11767298
> 	Rows filtered = 11767295
> 	restriction = true
> 	projection = false
> 		constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		open time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		next time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		close time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		restriction time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		projection time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		optimizer estimated row count: 1176730.30
> 		optimizer estimated cost: 5931065.54
> 	Source result set:
> 		Table Scan ResultSet for FORMULA_TERM at read committed isolation level using instantaneous
share row locking chosen by the optimizer
> 		Number of opens = 1
> 		Rows seen = 11767298
> 		Rows filtered = 0
> 		Fetch Size = 16
> 			constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			open time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			next time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			close time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			next time in milliseconds/row = 0
> 		scan information:
> 			Bit set of columns fetched=All
> 			Number of columns fetched=9
> 			Number of pages visited=34358
> 			Number of rows qualified=11767298
> 			Number of rows visited=11767298
> 			Scan type=heap
> 			start position:
> 				null
> 			stop position:
> 				null
> 			qualifiers:
> 				None
> 			optimizer estimated row count: 1176730.30
> 			optimizer estimated cost: 5931065.54
> [EL Fine]: 2013-01-17 11:27:00.627--ServerSession(1237006689)--Connection(1688096771)--Thread(Thread["Initial
Lisp Listener",5,SubL Thread Group])--SELECT TERM_ID, ARG0, ARG1, ARG2, ARG3, FORMULA_HASH,
FORMULA_LENGTH, FORMULA_TYPE, KB_STATUS FROM KB.FORMULA_TERM WHERE (TERM_ID IN (?,?,?))
> 	bind => [2251799814033500, 2251799814033501, 2251799814033499]
> Thu Jan 17 11:47:26 CST 2013 Thread["Initial Lisp Listener",5,SubL Thread Group] (XID
= 4711080), (SESSIONID = 3), SELECT TERM_ID, ARG0, ARG1, ARG2, ARG3, FORMULA_HASH, FORMULA_LENGTH,
FORMULA_TYPE, KB_STATUS FROM KB.FORMULA_TERM WHERE (TERM_ID IN (?,?,?)) ******* Project-Restrict
ResultSet (3):
> Number of opens = 1
> Rows seen = 3
> Rows filtered = 0
> restriction = false
> projection = true
> 	constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	open time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	next time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	close time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	restriction time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	projection time (milliseconds) = 0
> 	optimizer estimated row count: 1176730.30
> 	optimizer estimated cost: 5931065.54
> Source result set:
> 	Project-Restrict ResultSet (2):
> 	Number of opens = 1
> 	Rows seen = 11767298
> 	Rows filtered = 11767295
> 	restriction = true
> 	projection = false
> 		constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		open time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		next time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		close time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		restriction time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		projection time (milliseconds) = 0
> 		optimizer estimated row count: 1176730.30
> 		optimizer estimated cost: 5931065.54
> 	Source result set:
> 		Table Scan ResultSet for FORMULA_TERM at read committed isolation level using instantaneous
share row locking chosen by the optimizer
> 		Number of opens = 1
> 		Rows seen = 11767298
> 		Rows filtered = 0
> 		Fetch Size = 16
> 			constructor time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			open time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			next time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			close time (milliseconds) = 0
> 			next time in milliseconds/row = 0
> 		scan information:
> 			Bit set of columns fetched=All
> 			Number of columns fetched=9
> 			Number of pages visited=34358
> 			Number of rows qualified=11767298
> 			Number of rows visited=11767298
> 			Scan type=heap
> 			start position:
> 				null
> 			stop position:
> 				null
> 			qualifiers:
> 				None
> 			optimizer estimated row count: 1176730.30
> 			optimizer estimated cost: 5931065.54

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Mime
View raw message