db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: allowing non-developers to test bug fixes at apache?
Date Tue, 28 May 2013 13:29:06 GMT
On 5/23/13 4:19 PM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
> In DERBY-6045 tony makes a reasonable request for jars including an as
> yet unreleased bug fix to verify the fix as he is not set up to build.
> There used to be unofficial jars available from one of the public
> testing sites, but that has gone away.  Is posting the jars used to run
> a test off of trunk ok or not?
Hi Mike,

This seems to be governed by the following section of the Apache release
policy here: http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what In particular,
see this paragraph:

"During the process of developing software and preparing a release,
various packages are made available to the developer community for
testing purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that
might encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds,
snapshots, release candidates, or any other similar package. The only
people who are supposed to know about such packages are the people
following the dev list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the
conditions placed on the package. If you find that the general public
are downloading such test packages, then remove them."

> It would benefit the community to make it easy for bug reporters to be
> able to verify fixes prior to release candidates.
> Is there anything to be done, that does not break apache rules?
I am not an Apache lawyer, but I think that the following process would
fit inside the policy described by that section:

o A developer with commit privileges can build a set of jars and put
them in a subdirectory of their public Apache webpage. That is, in a
subdirectory of the public_html directory of their account on
people.apache.org. For instance, my public subdirectory is visible at
http://people.apache.org/~rhillegas/ and Myrna's public subdirectory is
visible at http://people.apache.org/~myrnavl/

o Then the developer can post a message to derby-dev, alerting the list
to the location of the bugfix jars. The message should mention the
experimental, non-production nature of the jars. Note that the message
would be posted to derby-dev, not derby-user. I think that distinction
is important for fitting inside the Apache policy.

o Probably it's good hygiene to delete the jars after they've been
tested in order to reduce the possibility of confusion and avoid
cluttering up the Apache servers.

My $0.02,

View raw message