db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Dropping some old platforms in 10.11?
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 07:43:37 GMT
Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> writes:

> It might be worthwhile to agree on a simple, general policy going
> forward, something like this:
> A) We expect that a new feature release (branch) will support the
> following Java versions:
> i) The current version being developed by the Open JDK community. This
> is a stretch goal but one which I think we can hit. Let's call this
> the CURRENT version.
> ii) CURRENT - 1
> iii) CURRENT - 2
> B) We expect that maintenance releases on a branch will continue to
> support the same Java versions as the initial feature release cut from
> that branch.
> Adopting this policy would result in the following changes to the
> 10.11 trunk:
> I) Removing build support for Java 5 and CDC.
> II) Purging user doc references to Java 5 and CDC.
> III) Removing the JDBC 3 version of the public api.

Thanks, Rick. I think this sounds like a good rule of thumb. Judging by
how back-porting to older branches has happened up till now, the 10.10
branch is going to be alive and receive fixes for quite some time, so
those who run Derby on these old platforms won't lose access to bug
fixes anytime soon.

Knut Anders

View raw message