db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Dropping some old platforms in 10.11?
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:00:09 GMT
On 4/23/2013 8:37 AM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
> On 4/23/2013 12:43 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> writes:
>>
>>> It might be worthwhile to agree on a simple, general policy going
>>> forward, something like this:
>>>
>>> A) We expect that a new feature release (branch) will support the
>>> following Java versions:
>>>
>>> i) The current version being developed by the Open JDK community. This
>>> is a stretch goal but one which I think we can hit. Let's call this
>>> the CURRENT version.
>>>
>>> ii) CURRENT - 1
>>>
>>> iii) CURRENT - 2

I am ok with no longer supporting java 5 and CDC but think that while
current -2  is a reasonable goal, we should talk about it every time we
drop a release.

>>> B) We expect that maintenance releases on a branch will continue to
>>> support the same Java versions as the initial feature release cut from
>>> that branch.
>>>
>>> Adopting this policy would result in the following changes to the
>>> 10.11 trunk:
>>>
>>> I) Removing build support for Java 5 and CDC.
>>>
>>> II) Purging user doc references to Java 5 and CDC.
>>>
>>> III) Removing the JDBC 3 version of the public api.

So by this do you mean that DataSource classes like EmbeddedDataSource
would no longer work and users would have to
use EmbeddedDataSource40? I think that would be too harsh of a change as
it would require most applications using data sources be changed in
order to upgrade.