db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: should attempts to shut down the database timeout if they exceed DriverManager.setLoginTimeout( N )?
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 16:32:31 GMT
On 4/10/2013 6:11 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> On 4/9/13 1:46 PM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
>> Derby uses making a connection to shutdown the database, and in
>> DERBY-6122 it looks like that attempt to shutdown the database
>> can timeout.
> Thanks for raising this issue, Mike. Login timeouts could interfere with
> orderly shutdown for several reasons, including:
>
> A) Network problems which slow down LDAP authentication.
>
> B) Heavily loaded databases which need a lot of time to quiesce.
>
> If login timeouts turn out to be a problem for orderly shutdown, one
> solution might be to implement an alternative api for bringing down a
> database and/or engine. See this very old enhancement request:
> DERBY-586. From time to time we get static about these two features of
> the Derby shutdown api:
>
> 1) It's quirky to shutdown via a startup api.
>
> 2) It's annoying that a successful shutdown results in an exception
> which the application has to catch.
I agree with 1+2 here.

>> I do wonder if this is what a user would expect?
> Probably not. But with or without timeouts, the Derby shutdown api isn't
> what people coming from other databases expect. I think we have to live
> with this additional kink as long as we overload the JDBC connection api
> this way.

That is sort of what I thought, just wanted to make sure it was current
expected behavior.  Is it worth calling this behavior out in 10.10
documentation, I know I was surprised when I first saw it - then
thinking about implementation of shutdown through login understood from
a code level.

Worst case now a search on this forum will explain.