db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: should attempts to shut down the database timeout if they exceed DriverManager.setLoginTimeout( N )?
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:11:13 GMT
On 4/9/13 1:46 PM, Mike Matrigali wrote:
> Derby uses making a connection to shutdown the database, and in
> DERBY-6122 it looks like that attempt to shutdown the database
> can timeout.
Thanks for raising this issue, Mike. Login timeouts could interfere with
orderly shutdown for several reasons, including:

A) Network problems which slow down LDAP authentication.

B) Heavily loaded databases which need a lot of time to quiesce.

If login timeouts turn out to be a problem for orderly shutdown, one
solution might be to implement an alternative api for bringing down a
database and/or engine. See this very old enhancement request:
DERBY-586. From time to time we get static about these two features of
the Derby shutdown api:

1) It's quirky to shutdown via a startup api.

2) It's annoying that a successful shutdown results in an exception
which the application has to catch.

> I do wonder if this is what a user would expect?
Probably not. But with or without timeouts, the Derby shutdown api isn't
what people coming from other databases expect. I think we have to live
with this additional kink as long as we overload the JDBC connection api
this way.

Thanks,
-Rick