db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: [Db Wiki] Trivial Update of "FernandoO" by FernandoO
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2013 15:47:39 GMT
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 6:59 AM, Kim Haase <camilla.haase@oracle.com> wrote:
> I'm guessing it's would-be spammers trying to set up a legitimate-looking
> URL. Thanks for continuing to delete the pages (to whoever is doing that).
>
> Kim
>

> On 3/29/2013 8:26 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know why we are seeing these changes to the wiki? Thanks

Kim is right.
There is/are manual spammers who are creating these. The automated
spammers cannot cope with answering the question, but at this point,
our wiki is open to anyone...and the answers to the questions are
easily found.

After the first one, which Knut Anders deleted, *I* have been deleting
them, but depending on how many we get I might get very tired of this.
We may at one point think of implementing the restrictions other
projects have gone to already - see:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/OurWikiFarm#per_wiki_access_control_-_tighten_your_wiki_just_a_little.2C_benefit_just_a_lot

This suggests we could create an Admin group to which we'd have to
request access to, and then only those with access can modify the
wiki.

It's a sad thing that this is necessary for an open source project,
but there it is.

>From other groups' questions to infra (specifically River) I noted the
following further point:
- we may need to log an issue like this:

For now, I'll just delete that puppy...

Myrna