db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: dblook and optional tools
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:45:04 GMT
On 3/22/13 10:44 AM, Katherine Marsden wrote:
> I notice the dblook output after registering the databaseMetaData tool
> has the many new functions, e.g.
>
> CREATE FUNCTION "APP"."GETCATALOGS" () RETURNS TABLE ( "TABLE_CAT"
> CHAR(128) ) LANGUAGE JAVA PARAMETER STYLE DERBY_JDBC_RESULT_SET READS
> SQL DATA CALLED ON NULL INPUT EXTERNAL NAME
> 'org.apache.derby.impl.tools.optional.DBMDWrapper.getCatalogs' ;
>
> CREATE FUNCTION "APP"."GETCATALOGSEPARATOR" () RETURNS VARCHAR(32672)
> LANGUAGE JAVA PARAMETER STYLE JAVA READS SQL DATA CALLED ON NULL INPUT
> EXTERNAL NAME
> 'org.apache.derby.impl.tools.optional.DBMDWrapper.getCatalogSeparator' ;
>
> but nothing for the registering of the tool itself. Is the tool
> registration just a shortcut for creating the functions or is there
> anything else done that needs to be reflected in dblook?

Hi Kathey,

The registration/unregistration is all done by the system procedure
SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_REGISTER_TOOL. SYSCS_REGISTER_TOOL doesn't create
registration/unregistration procedures behind the scenes. Instead,
SYSCS_REGISTER_TOOL just calls the loadTool() and unloadTool() methods
in org.apache.derby.impl.tools.optional.DBMDWrapper. So your dblook
results sound good to me.

Thanks,
-Rick