db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: encoding problems with Japanese variants of the user docs
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:05:25 GMT
Thanks for that advice, Knut. Some comments inline...

On 3/13/13 4:03 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Rick Hillegas<rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  writes:
>> Three questions:
>> 1) How do I build the website with the correct encoding so that links
>> to the Japanese docs don't appear as strings of question marks?
> I think you need to run forrest with your system locale set to some
> variant that uses UTF-8. I am able to reproduce the garbled links if I
> set the environment variable LANG=C before I run "forrest site". The
> links are not garbled when I run with LANG=en_US.UTF-8.
Great, that did it. I exported that setting of the LANG environment
variable and that caused the links to display correctly after I built
the website.
>> 2) Similarly, how do I build the Japanese docs so that the encoding
>> will be correct when they are checked into the website?
> This doesn't only affect the Japanese (or the Portuguese) manuals, by
> the way. See for example
> http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.9/getstart/cgsusingtoolsutils.html
> where the non-breaking spaces have been replaced with ??.
> I don't know how this happened. However, since all versions of the
> manuals on the website seem to be garbled, and I assume the already
> released manuals weren't rebuilt when we did the website migration last
> year, I don't think this is a problem with how the docs are built, but
> rather with how they were copied into the site repository.
> Do the Japanese manuals look right just after you've built them in your
> environment, before you've copied them to the site repository? What kind
> of tool do you use to copy the manuals?
I decided to get the manuals by cracking open the 10.4 bin distribution.
The Japanese manuals in that distribution display correctly for me. I
tar'd them up and then untar'd the tarball into the target section of my
website client. The manuals looked good to me when I built the website.
I've checked in these changes. Let's hope they propagate correctly.

I did not touch the Brazilian docs. So I still see ????? in places when
I view the 10.2 Brazilian docs on the website. Perhaps this indicates a
missing font in my browser.

>> 3) How do I get credentials so that I can log onto builds.apache.org?
> Per https://wiki.apache.org/general/Jenkins you need to ask the DB PMC
> chair to grant you access. That will give you access to
> builds.apache.org via the Jenkins web interface. You still won't be able
> to log in with ssh.
>> More context below...
>> I am removing outdated versions of the Japanese and Brazilian docs as
>> described here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6106 In
>> the process, I seem to have tripped across the encoding problems which
>> cause Japanese text to appear as ? on the website. This includes
>> Japanese text in links on the website's doc tab as well as all the
>> text in the Japanese variants themselves.
>> Does anyone know how to fix this problem and get the encoding correct?
>> The topic was discussed on DERBY-6023 but there are no instructions
>> there on how one fixes one's own builds. For instance, what is the
>> correct encoding and how do you force it?
>> I thought that I could finesse part of the problem by logging onto
>> builds.apache.org in order to retrieve an alpha build of the Japanese
>> docs. (The alpha builds of the Japanese docs display correctly). But I
>> can't ssh to builds.apache.org: Permission denied
>> (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
> You might be able to retrieve the latest Japanese docs by going to
> https://builds.apache.org/job/Derby-docs/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/trunk/out/ja_JP/
> and clicking the "all files in zip" link. That should give you a zip
> file that contains the entire directory.

View raw message