db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: odd javadoc output since Friday, Feb 7, 2013
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2013 23:48:30 GMT
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Rick Hillegas
<rick.hillegas@oracle.com> wrote:
> On 2/13/13 10:11 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> Thanks for fixing the previous warnings. However, now the javadoc
>> build fails, with the following:
>> [path_to_trunk]\build.xml:1388: Javadoc failed: java.io.IOException:
>> Cannot run program "[path_to_ibm16jvm]\bin\javadoc.exe": CreateProcess
>> error=206, The filename or extension is too long.
>>
>> Do you see this with Oracle jvms?
>>
>> Thx,
>> Myrna
>>
> Hm, haven't seen that error with my Oracle Java 7 or my Open JDK Java 8
> javadoc. Can't think of why the path to the javadoc executable would be
> longer now. The command line might be, though, because on Java 7 there's now
> a redundant "-J-mx500M" switch on the command line. Maybe the IBM javadoc is
> objecting to that. The error occurs on this javadoc invocation:
>
> <javadoc
>        additionalparam="-J-mx500M"
>        packagenames="org.*"
>        access="private"
>        breakiterator="yes"
>        bootclasspath="${java16compile.classpath}"
>
> classpath="${out.dir};${java16compile.classpath};${jars.javadoc};${junit}"
>        destdir="${out.javadoc.dir}/testing"
>        windowtitle="Apache Derby V${major}.${minor} Test Javadoc"
>        doctitle="Apache Derby V${major}.${minor} Test Javadoc"
>        Footer="${javadoc.Footer}"
>        bottom="Apache Derby V${major}.${minor} Internals -
> &lt;i&gt;Copyright &amp;copy; 2004,${copyright.year} The Apache Software
> Foundation. All Rights Reserved.&lt;/i&gt;"
>        source="1.5"
>>
> <fileset dir="${derby.testing.src.dir}"
>                excludesfile="${javadoc.exclusions}"/>
> <arg value="${xarg.doclint}"/>
> </javadoc>
>
> You might try removing the first argument and see if the javadoc builds
> then. That is, remove this line:
>
>        additionalparam="-J-mx500M"
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

Hi,

After some research & some trial and error, I found that this problem
is related to the fact that I'm building on windows. The
additionalparam was irrelevant.

To fix this, I needed to add the following property to the javadoc
target for the testingdocs:
useexternalfiles="yes"

We already had this for the javadoc for derbydocs, and demodocs
target. I don't fully understand what has caused this to be needed,
but I'm assuming that the error condition is correct and that some
filename of a new test is now too long for windows.

I'll log a JIRA issue, then change this.

Myrna