db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject 10.10.1 release
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2013 20:28:16 GMT
I am volunteering to manage a 10.10.1 feature release, which is
described here: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenTenOneRelease.
As you can see, the proposed schedule calls for a first release
candidate on 2013-03-18 and a target release date of 2013-04-12. I am
cautiously hopeful that that will give us plenty of time to stabilize
what I consider to be the driving features of this release:

o the ability to build and test Derby on Java 8

o the ability to run Derby on a Java 8 small device platform called
Compact Profile 2

I expect that there will be some discussion about this release. Like
10.2.1 and 10.8.1, 10.10.1 will be a release which exposes a new rev of
JDBC. There may be licensing concerns about 10.10.1 just as there were
about 10.2.1 and 10.8.1. Because I will use Open JDK to build the
release, I think that the 10.10.1 licensing situation is simpler, and I
have summarized my view of the licensing constraints at the end of the
functional spec attached to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6000. To repeat what is said
there: Open JDK is licensed under "GNU General Public License, version
2, with the Classpath Exception" (see
http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html ); according to GNU,
software under this license can be used to build unencumbered production
programs (see http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/license.html ). In
particular, I call the community's attention to the following paragraph
from that web page:

"As such, it can be used to run, create and distribute a large class of
applications and applets. When GNU Classpath is used unmodified as the
core class library for a virtual machine, compiler for the java
language, or for a program written in the java programming language it
does not affect the licensing for distributing those programs directly."

I am going on vacation for a week so I won't be able to continue this
discussion until I come back on Monday February 25. Before going on
vacation, however, I wanted to post these plans so that the community
will have an additional week to prepare for the release and to think
through the licensing situation.

Thanks,
-Rick