db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: odd javadoc output since Friday, Feb 7, 2013
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2013 19:03:31 GMT
On 2/13/13 10:11 AM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM, Rick Hillegas<rick.hillegas@oracle.com>  wrote:
>> Thanks for noticing this, Myrna. As Kristian noted, these warnings are
>> caused by the fact that the Java 7 javadoc tool can't find new Java 8
>> classes in java.sql. Those classes are referenced by the JDBC 4.2 support
>> added by DERBY-6000. I have checked in derby-6000-13-aa-fixJavadoc.diff at
>> subversion revision 1445196. That fixes the javadoc build for me on Java 7.
>>
>> Note that the javadoc does not build cleanly on Java 8. It spews pages of
>> warnings about missing @param and @throws annotations. I think that is a
>> separate problem which I will need to tackle later on.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>

> Hi Rick,
>
> Thanks for fixing the previous warnings. However, now the javadoc
> build fails, with the following:
> [path_to_trunk]\build.xml:1388: Javadoc failed: java.io.IOException:
> Cannot run program "[path_to_ibm16jvm]\bin\javadoc.exe": CreateProcess
> error=206, The filename or extension is too long.
>
> Do you see this with Oracle jvms?
>
> Thx,
> Myrna

Hm, haven't seen that error with my Oracle Java 7 or my Open JDK Java 8
javadoc. Can't think of why the path to the javadoc executable would be
longer now. The command line might be, though, because on Java 7 there's
now a redundant "-J-mx500M" switch on the command line. Maybe the IBM
javadoc is objecting to that. The error occurs on this javadoc invocation:

<javadoc
        additionalparam="-J-mx500M"
        packagenames="org.*"
        access="private"
        breakiterator="yes"
        bootclasspath="${java16compile.classpath}"

classpath="${out.dir};${java16compile.classpath};${jars.javadoc};${junit}"
        destdir="${out.javadoc.dir}/testing"
        windowtitle="Apache Derby V${major}.${minor} Test Javadoc"
        doctitle="Apache Derby V${major}.${minor} Test Javadoc"
        Footer="${javadoc.Footer}"
        bottom="Apache Derby V${major}.${minor} Internals -
&lt;i&gt;Copyright &amp;copy; 2004,${copyright.year} The Apache Software
Foundation. All Rights Reserved.&lt;/i&gt;"
        source="1.5"

<fileset dir="${derby.testing.src.dir}"
                excludesfile="${javadoc.exclusions}"/>
<arg value="${xarg.doclint}"/>
</javadoc>

You might try removing the first argument and see if the javadoc builds
then. That is, remove this line:

        additionalparam="-J-mx500M"

Thanks,
-Rick