db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DERBY 10.9.2 release, was: DERBY 10.9.1.0 release
Date Sat, 02 Feb 2013 18:48:53 GMT
On 2/1/2013 10:19 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Writing a concise set of release instructions is complicated by the
> following issues:
>
> 1) The release process is slightly different for each release branch.

I think that really It is fine to just have instructions that
differentiate on the latest maintenance branch and making a new minor
release off trunk.  There is a distinction  in process in these two that
is not all that clear, so maybe the new doc can have a clearer way to
differentiate the steps.   Honestly in retrospect, I think the 10.8.3
Apache release was not that good of an idea for the community for
various reasons, so think having instructions two branches back is a low
priority for the future.   I think at any given point active
instructions for the latest released branch and releasing off of trunk
would be good enough.   I like having the instructions on the Wiki for
ease of edit and think it could be manageable with just these options.
Changes for old branches can just be edited out and folks can go to the
history if they  really need that information.

> 2) The release process is slightly different depending on whether
> you're running on Unix or Windows.
> I don't know what to do about (2). Maybe we need separate release
> instructions for Unix and Windows.

I think more than separate instructions,  the windows process needs bugs
fixed and a thorough debugging and then add to the prep things like  a
specific md5sum tool and specific settings that make it work.  I think
once this is done, the instructions between Linux and Windows can
coalesce more gracefully.