db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: DERBY 10.9.2 release, was: DERBY release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 18:19:04 GMT
Writing a concise set of release instructions is complicated by the
following issues:

1) The release process is slightly different for each release branch.

2) The release process is slightly different depending on whether you're
running on Unix or Windows.

I don't see how a single set of wiki-maintained instructions can be
concise if the instructions have to include special cases for all of the
variations caused by (1) and (2).

We may be able to address (1) partially by moving the release
instructions off the wiki into the codeline. That way, each branch can
be responsible for documenting its own release process. Unfortunately,
branches live for a long time and it is hard to guarantee that the
process will remain constant over the lifetime of a branch. That is
because parts of the release process are affected by larger Apache
processes which change over the lifetime of a branch.

I don't know what to do about (2). Maybe we need separate release
instructions for Unix and Windows.

View raw message