db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: DERBY 10.9.2 release, was: DERBY 10.9.1.0 release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 17:09:09 GMT
On 1/31/2013 10:19 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Hi Lily,
>
> I think you're talking about a 10.9.2 release. Can you let us know
> which parts of the release instructions seem more complicated? I can
> help improve the instructions if you let me know which parts are most
> confusing.

I think in terms of the documentation (and the process)  I noticed
several  major themes in my failed attempts to put a release together.
I am sorry I did not take better notes in detail.

1) The process seems fragile on Windows.
DERBY-5461, DERBY-5463, DERBY-5460 and difficulty integrating an md5sum
tool combined with the chaining of steps together and problems
restarting if something fail due to the  made my build something of a
patch work effort, but I did get it out  by working around these
issues.  On the publication, there is was trouble on windows due to line
endings. I don't really like the fact that it tried to svn commit
without letting me review my change.

2)  It would be good to make the documentation more concise.
It is somewhat  long, winding and repetitive. There is not a clear
numbering system for the steps and  I found I would struggle through
with a step that was briefly mentioned only to find I should have done
it later and was  given more detailed  information.   The interleaving
of instructions from old releases makes it confusing too. I think it
would be ok to just take this out prior to 10.9, but have to admit
sometimes having the old instructions was helpful in moving forward.

3)The process itself seems more complicated and extensive.
  Maybe this is again just a function of one and two and the fact that
every time I got an afternoon to look at it, I would collide with
something else,  but the process itself seems to have become more
complicated and extensive. (was it 22 pages vs 4 or 5 when I did a 10.5
release?)

I would say at least stay away from Windows if trying to make a release,
but I don't think  that is an option for Lily.

Best

Kathey