db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Me <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DERBY 10.9.2 release, was: DERBY 10.9.1.0 release
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:03:49 GMT
Re web site build on windows, this has been much improved now that all the docs have eol-style
native. Also, a few things have been addressed by making a windows specific section in build.xml.

I think you'll find things are better than when Kathey started 10.8.3.
I'd be willing to help with a possible 10.9.2.
Myrna

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 1, 2013, at 9:09 AM, Katherine Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 1/31/2013 10:19 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Hi Lily,
>>
>> I think you're talking about a 10.9.2 release. Can you let us know which parts of
the release instructions seem more complicated? I can help improve the instructions if you
let me know which parts are most confusing.
> I think in terms of the documentation (and the process)  I noticed several  major themes
in my failed attempts to put a release together.  I am sorry I did not take better notes in
detail.

> 1) The process seems fragile on Windows.
> DERBY-5461, DERBY-5463, DERBY-5460 and difficulty integrating an md5sum tool combined
with the chaining of steps together and problems restarting if something fail due to the
made my build something of a patch work effort, but I did get it out  by working around these
issues.  On the publication, there is was trouble on windows due to line endings. I don't
really like the fact that it tried to svn commit without letting me review my change.

> 2)  It would be good to make the documentation more concise.
> It is somewhat  long, winding and repetitive. There is not a clear numbering system for
the steps and  I found I would struggle through with a step that was briefly mentioned only
to find I should have done it later and was  given more detailed  information.   The interleaving
of instructions from old releases makes it confusing too. I think it would be ok to just take
this out prior to 10.9, but have to admit sometimes having the old instructions was helpful
in moving forward.

> 3)The process itself seems more complicated and extensive.
> Maybe this is again just a function of one and two and the fact that every time I got
an afternoon to look at it, I would collide with something else,  but the process itself seems
to have become more complicated and extensive. (was it 22 pages vs 4 or 5 when I did a 10.5
release?)

> I would say at least stay away from Windows if trying to make a release, but I don't
think  that is an option for Lily.

> Best
>
> Kathey
>
>> Thanks,
>> -Rick
>>
>> On 1/31/13 9:51 AM, Lily Wei wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> The release process and procedure had definitely turns out to be more involved
than I participated. Compare to the previous release I did, I have to say I am having problem
just follow the instruction.

>>> Derby is a wonderful product and technology to be more involved. Therefore, I
am seeking help from Derby developers. If I can do the build for 10.9.1.0, can someone else
help me with publishing and rest of the tasks? For a minimum, we definitely should have clear
instruction for more Derby developers to follow. Hopefully, easy to follow steps and procedure
can proceed most of the time.