db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Derby Key Words
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 13:30:50 GMT
Hi David,

Thanks for continuing to think about this issue. Dag's solution looks
good enough to me. I don't see any compelling reason to also expose this
functionality via a second api, namely, a Derby-specific extension to
the JDBC metadata. I'm glad that you want to contribute to Derby. At
this point I think that a better introductory task would be to pick one
of the Derby JIRA issues which is marked "Newcomer".

Thanks,
-Rick

On 12/11/12 2:16 PM, david myers wrote:
> On 04/12/12 22:33, Dag Wanvik wrote:
>> On 04.12.2012 17:57, Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> I have added a comment to DERBY-3256. I think that Dag's solution
>>> looks complete and reasonable. I recommend that it be committed and
>>> documented. Does his solution not solve your original problem?
>>>
>> Thanks for looking at the patch, Rick. I think David wants to extend
>> this solution so one could get these keywords via DataBaseMetaData?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dag
>
> Hi Rick and Dag,
>
> Dag's solution is exceedingly complete, but like Dag mentions I am
> putting the finishing touches on a DataBaseMetaData method to kick out
> the info (in the form of a table as per your original suggestion).
>
> Currently it seems to 'work', but I have a few 'niggles' that I want
> to solve, mainly revolving around the test(s) I'm writing.
>
> Currently my metadata method is in its own class that inherits from
> the 'proper' one, so no danger of me breaking something else on the
> way (eventually if its good we can simply copy / paste it back into
> the parent).
>
> The same is true for my test class.
> Also I'm not sure how to test for the presence of the JJ file and
> Dag's patch on which I obviously rely, I understand (sort of) how Dag
> uses the build paths to find the file in his patch, but I'm not sure
> how to code these into a test, i'm sure they are in a test somewhere,
> just for the moment I haven't 'seen' them, or do I even need to worry
> about this ? is simply listing them in my <
> getDerbyKeyWordsTest_app.properties > going to be sufficient ? again
> how to I give a location based on the derbyHome or similar in this file?
>
> If you can point me to a good example test class that does this sort
> of thing, I'll work my way through it and use the same model for my
> test class.
>
> Personally I just want to give a good test with sensible responses
> when they fail if the files I rely on strangely go missing or move to
> another location.
>
> I'll try to get back with the exact problems I seem to be facing,
> which for the moment are rather varied, and probably linked to my
> setup of Eclipse... i'm getting there slowly though.
>
> I just need to find a few extra hours somewhere... especially as the
> wife has decided it is time to redecorate the bedroom ;).
>
> Speak again soon
>
> David
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Rick