db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Rick Hillegas (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Updated] (DERBY-5832) Localize messages introduced or changed in 10.9.1
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2012 18:42:59 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5832?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Rick Hillegas updated DERBY-5832:
---------------------------------

    Attachment: derby-5832-01-ad-newTranslations.diff

Attaching derby-5832-01-ad-newTranslations.diff. This makes some changes to a couple messages
and their translations so that my transformation tools run correctly. I will explain what
that means in a moment. Regression tests passed cleanly for me on this patch.

The translators expect that apostrophe handling will be different in messages which have no
arguments vs. messages which have arguments. In contrast, Derby expects that apostrophes will
be handled in a uniform way regardless of how many arguments a message has. This discrepancy
arises because the translators assume that messages without arguments will not be passed through
MessageFormat.format(). Derby, however, passes all messages through MessageFormat.format(),
even messages without arguments.

As a result, the message files have to be transformed before they are given to the translators
and the message files have to be reverse-transformed when the translators are done.

The following transformations are performed:

- Before message files are handed to the translators, the doubled single-quote character is
replaced with just one ' in messages which DON'T have arguments.

- After message files come back from the translators, the reverse transformation is performed.
That is, single ' characters are replaced with '' in messages which DON'T have arguments.

The actual transformations are a little more complicated than that, but that covers most of
it.

As a sanity check, I ran the new localizations through a loopback. I transformed them as though
they were going to the translators, and then I reverse-transformed the result. I then compared
the two sets of messages, hoping that they would be identical. They were not, chiefly because
of a couple places in the tools and drda messages where { and } were used for purposes other
than enclosing message arguments. I have changed a couple messages so that these instances
of {  and } are always enclosed in single-quotes. This makes the loopback run cleanly. Hopefully,
that will make the next round of translations go smoothly next year.

                
> Localize messages introduced or changed in 10.9.1
> -------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: DERBY-5832
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5832
>             Project: Derby
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: Localization
>    Affects Versions: 10.10.0.0, 10.9.2.0
>            Reporter: Rick Hillegas
>            Assignee: Rick Hillegas
>         Attachments: changes.html, derby-5832-01-aa-newTranslations.diff, derby-5832-01-ab-newTranslations.diff,
derby-5832-01-ad-newTranslations.diff, NewPropertyFileVTI.java, TranslationPrep.java, TranslationPrep.java
>
>
> Localize 10.9 messages.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Mime
View raw message