db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Me <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Derby release
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 15:47:05 GMT


On Oct 29, 2012, at 5:00 AM, Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hatlen@oracle.com> wrote:

> Brett Wooldridge <brett.wooldridge@gmail.com> writes:
> 
>> Any ETA on a 10.9.1.1 release? My company is waiting on the fix for
>> Derby-4279 ("Statement cache deadlock"), and we've got our own release
>> in about a month. Would be great to pick-up this fix.
> 
> Hi Brett,
> 
> The dates haven't been decided yet, but there was some discussion about
> releasing 10.9.2 fairly shortly after 10.8.3. See this thread:
> 
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/201210.mbox/%3C5072F9D3.4040702%40sbcglobal.net%3E
> 
> End of November was mentioned. Not sure if that was meant to be the
> target for starting the vetting/voting or actually releasing it.
> 
>> Alternatively, is there away we can compile our own 10.9.1.1 in a way
>> that will be updatable (DB file compatible) with an official version
>> of the same?
> 
> With the caveat that we don't test that upgrade scenario, upgrade from
> an arbitrary point on a stable branch to a newer released version is
> supposed to work. So if you build your own jars from head of the 10.9
> branch, upgrade to 10.9.2 should in theory not cause any problems.
> 
> If you do that, you'll probably want to help testing the 10.9.2 release
> candidate to verify that it doesn't get released with a problem
> upgrading from your custom build. The upgrade tests in the repository
> have an option to run against custom builds, which would be a useful
> sanity check.
> 
> -- 
> Knut Anders

Hi Brett,

A few of us Derby developers met for an informal in San Francisco last month, and we did bring
this up briefly then- not sure if I remembered to mention it when I reported on that lunch...But
Lilly volunteered to manage that 10.9.2. 
But we're working on a 10.8 for (hopefully) November, and a 10.10 release, and I am dealing
with a move of my testing machines, so I won't have the bandwidth to fully test a 10.9 until
next year. 

That said, I routinely build jars that I deliver to my users as fix releases, and upgrading
has always worked. 

Usually I tell my users just place these jars instead of existing ones, i. e., using soft
upgrade...

Hth,
Myrna


Mime
View raw message