The utility that performs the freeze/zfs snapshot/unfreeze is run at a customer sit via cron and unfortunately the output was overwritten by the next nights run which blocked trying to freeze the database.  I verified that by looking at the stack traces of derby using jstack. Other than the database being frozen and all connections in the pool to derby in use, derby engine looked ok.

The reason for the utility failure was lost but neither the try/finally nor the JVM shutdown hook worked to unfreeze the database.  Maybe the JVM running the utility crashed but at this point I don't know.

I did extensive testing of the utility with normal possibilities like the zfs snapshot failing, interrupting the utility with SIGINT etc and these were handled and the database unfreeze called.

So at this point I don't know what failed but something did and left the database frozen so an automatic mechanism in the derby engine would be most welcome.

I will try to implement this maybe as a param to the system procedure and supply a patch for possible inclusion into derby