db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag Wanvik <dag.wan...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Is there value in closing bugs vs just resolving?
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2012 17:11:43 GMT

On 14.09.2012 01:36, Katherine Marsden wrote:
> On 9/13/2012 3:49 PM, Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> I thought the idea was that resolving is was done by the person who
>> worked the issue, the closing was to be done by the person who logged
>> the issue, to indicate agreement with the resolution.
> Yes, does that have any reporting value vs just adding a comment? If
> so, I suppose the folks resolving the issue could just make a note to
> add the label when resolving for issues that are not suitable for
> backport as well as make a note to check the other pertinent
> information  so reopens  won't be as necessary.

1) Typically, I only keep an issue at resolved (as opposed to closed) in
order to indicate I am still considering further backports (iff I filed
the issue myself).
2) For bugs reported by others, I do leave them resolved for the other
party to close when issue is deemed solved: I don't ask for it to be
closed until I'm done considering backports. (Note: that doesn't mean my
issue couldn't be backported further, just that I don't have an
inclination to do it.. ;-)

For the first case, I guess a final comment on backports (and/or current
flag blocking further backports) would suffice.

For the second case, not sure.. I think it does have some value vs
users. It seems the root cause here is that the closed state forbids
editing. I guess we won't be able to lift this across all projects, even
if technically feasible in JIRA.

Hmm.. it gets messy. Could we build a tool to wrap the operations we
want to perform in reopen-op-close? ;-)

Dag