db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag Wanvik <dag.wan...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Had a problem with SYSCS_FREEZE_DATABASE and am wondering is something can be done make this more robust
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2012 18:19:00 GMT

On 10.09.2012 20:07, Bergquist, Brett wrote:

> From the stack traces of the Derby engine, it appears that something
> causes the utility to fail after the database was frozen and neither
> the shutdown hook nor the try/finally unfroze the database.   So after
> that point, the database was effectively locked up.   The system was
> still operating and connections were being made trying to access the
> database exhausting all of the connections.

So if none of your unfreeze attempt worked here, what happened to that
process/VM? You say "failed", did it hang, did it complete normally,
albeit with no effect, or was it killed off?
Curious, since If we were to implement an automatic unfreeze at
connection close, if the method you used didn't work, an automatic
unfreeze might fail too (if there is a bug in the code that prevents
unfreeze from doing its thing). If it hangs without unfreezing it might
be interesting to see the VM state at that point, e.g. via jstack.