Hi Bryan,

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.derby@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Nufail,

This sounds like a very promising approach!

How are your results with this technique? It would be very interesting
to see what a test like this looks like, even a very simple test.

If you have been able to construct a test in this style, I think it would
be great if you could attach it to a JIRA issue so that we could better
understand the approach.

Actually it will be no different to a normal JUnit 4 test. We need to provide @RunWith annotation and specify Pax Exam class and include a method which does the configuration including, specifying the required bundles and specifying which framework we need Felix/Equinox/other/combination of those. Apart from that it would just be JUnit. And it can be run with JUnit Ant task.
I'm trying out a simple test. I'll attach it to a JIRA.

Do you anticipate that the testing framework would be downloaded (via Maven)
by the test scripts? Or would we reference it from our tools/java
directory like we do with other external jar files?

This is a problem I'm having now. The framework is distributed only via Maven. It has about 4/5 Maven dependencies in normal use case. I used 'mvn dependencies:copy-dependencies' command to check for the transitive dependencies and it has a lot of jars. So not sure how exactly we can get the jars.
I asked in their mailing list and they said they don't provide an all jars included combo which they did in older versions due to lack of demand for non maven based projects but might consider providing it if I opened a JIRA for it.

Also, do I understand correctly that the Pax Exam framework is
Apache-licensed? I found this reference:
https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.exam2/blob/master/LICENSE

yes they have Apache 2.0 license.

thanks,

bryan