db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: spaces the final frontier
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 19:12:03 GMT
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Katherine Marsden
<kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hello  derby-dev,
>
> Are we ready to commit to space indentation for Derby as a matter of policy?
> If so I think it would be worthwhile to reformat all the code to use space
> indentation.
>
> I did some experimentation after  the initial network whitespace change for
> DERBY-5896 [1] and I think the reformat can be reasonably mitigated.  I
> think that it would be worthwhile to move to all spaces considering all the
> extra patch round trips  that we have seen over the years due to white space
> errors. All space indentation would help save time and confusion in that
> regard.
>
> I do seem to recall the last time this came up, some people (can't remember
> who) were  somewhat attached to indentation character as a matter of
> personal choice.  I think if we reformat,  we should commit to all spaces
> moving forward.    Does anyone still  feel that they have to have tabs or
> have objections to reformatting all the code to use spaces?
>
> If not I will call a vote and open an issue to reformat everything.
>
> Best
>
> Kathey
>

> [1]
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5896?focusedCommentId=13433270&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13433270

Hi Kathey,

I couldn't remember anyone in favor of tabs per se, I remembered
mostly concerns about backporting troubles.
I did some searches through old conversations, and you were right, I
did actually find someone putting in an opinion in favor of tabs, but
he was never a committer, and one committer who felt the formatting
should be a matter for each individual, but that committer hasn't been
active for 5 years at least. Most complaints about the official coding
style up for vote was that it left things too vague.

I think it's worthwhile calling a vote on the tab vs. spaces issue,
and to reformat the code.

Myrna