db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mohamed Nufail <nufai...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Testing Derby OSGi bundle
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 02:14:06 GMT
Hi Bryan,

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.derby@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi Nufail,
>
> This sounds like a very promising approach!
>
> How are your results with this technique? It would be very interesting
> to see what a test like this looks like, even a very simple test.
>
> If you have been able to construct a test in this style, I think it would
> be great if you could attach it to a JIRA issue so that we could better
> understand the approach.

Actually it will be no different to a normal JUnit 4 test. We need to
provide @RunWith annotation and specify Pax Exam class and include a method
which does the configuration including, specifying the required bundles and
specifying which framework we need Felix/Equinox/other/combination of
those. Apart from that it would just be JUnit. And it can be run with JUnit
Ant task.
I'm trying out a simple test. I'll attach it to a JIRA.

> Do you anticipate that the testing framework would be downloaded (via
> Maven)
> by the test scripts? Or would we reference it from our tools/java
> directory like we do with other external jar files?

This is a problem I'm having now. The framework is distributed only via
Maven. It has about 4/5 Maven dependencies in normal use case. I used 'mvn
dependencies:copy-dependencies' command to check for the transitive
dependencies and it has a lot of jars. So not sure how exactly we can get
the jars.
I asked in their mailing list and they said they don't provide an all jars
included combo which they did in older versions due to lack of demand for
non maven based projects but might consider providing it if I opened a JIRA
for it.

> Also, do I understand correctly that the Pax Exam framework is
> Apache-licensed? I found this reference:
> https://github.com/ops4j/org.**ops4j.pax.exam2/blob/master/**LICENSE<https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.exam2/blob/master/LICENSE>

yes they have Apache 2.0 license.

--

Mohamed Nufail