db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Derby Key Words
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:00:07 GMT
On 8/30/12 8:09 AM, David Myers wrote:
> Hello Rik,
>
> I thought the JIRA references would help.

>> Is it fair to say that you want to give users a programmatic way to list out
>> all of the Derby keywords, reserved and non-reserved, regardless of whether
>> they are keywords in the 2003 rev of the SQL Standard? The point of
>> producing this list is to help developers and IDEs avoid using these words
>> as names of tables, columns, routines, etc..
>>
> Exactly. As I say I already have the java / sql statements to do this
> (although I have copy / pasted the values from the web page rather
> than grabbing them from the system), I just need to know where I
> should plant them, and how to test that I don't break anything in the
> process ;) !
Thanks, David. I think that this would be a useful addition to Derby. I
don't think it requires a new system table. In general, we are reluctant
to add new system tables if a problem can be solved with a simpler
mechanism which doesn't increase the on-disk footprint of every database.

Instead, I would recommend supplying a diagnostic table function which
behaves as though it were declared as follows:

create function syscs_diag.derby_keywords()
returns table( keyword varchar( 128 ), isReserved boolean )

If you are not familiar with table functions, I recommend reading the
following sections in the user guides:

o The CREATE FUNCTION section in the Reference Guide.

o The "Programming Derby-style table functions" section in the
Developer's Guide.

The actual java code which implements the table function can just extend
org.apache.derby.vti.StringColumnVTI. If you are comfortable with this
solution, I would be happy to coach you through the project. The first
thing you will need to do is sign a contributor license agreement. If
you will be doing this work on behalf of your daytime job, then you will
want your company to sign a corporate contributor license agreement. The
first agreement protects Apache and the second agreement protects you.
Information on these agreements can be found here:
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

Thanks,
-Rick