db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Derby Key Words
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:53:47 GMT
Hi David,

Welcome to Derby development!  A couple comments inline...

On 8/29/12 4:38 PM, david myers wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is my first post, and my first try at 'contributing' to a project...
>
> I've come across an issue with 'keywords' in derby. Bear in mind the
> functionality as it currently stands does exactly what I would expect
> (and as is described in the docs, as far as I can tell!).
>
> My issue relates to 2 that are currently on jira
>
> Bryan Pendleton made a comment on Derby2245
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2245?focusedCommentId=12539961&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-12539961

> Which encompasses my expectations exactly.
Thanks for listing these related JIRAs. This is very helpful for framing
the discussion.

> Background.
> I'm converting (albeit slowly) a number of MS Access DB's to derbyDB.
> I came across the problem that MS Access seems not to care about SQL
> keywords as names for tables or columns!
> I was unable to find a 'neat' solution to test names against all the
> keywords that are reserved by Derby (so as I could then simply prepend
> the name of the table to the field).
> I did some searching and found the following page.
> http://db.apache.org/derby/javadoc/language/sqlgrammar.html
> This has 2 functions (or I assume they are functions or static
> variables) in it: reservedKeyword and nonReservedKeyword
Is it fair to say that you want to give users a programmatic way to list
out all of the Derby keywords, reserved and non-reserved, regardless of
whether they are keywords in the 2003 rev of the SQL Standard? The point
of producing this list is to help developers and IDEs avoid using these
words as names of tables, columns, routines, etc..

Thanks,
-Rick