db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Katherine Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: spaces the final frontier
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 21:23:11 GMT
On 8/15/2012 12:41 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I agree with what Mike said. Before moving ahead on this effort, we
> should make sure that we understand how to perform the following tasks:
>
> 1) Tell the code archaeology tool "svn blame" to mask out the diffs
> introduced by this rototill.
>
> 2) Not make backporting more burdensome.
The -x  -b option on both svn blame and merge seem to do a fine job of
masking out the noise.

The test cases I use were I tried
svn blame -x -b DRDAConnThread.java
and found no trace of change 1370674 and older changes were able to
shine through.  Please give it a try yourself and see what you think.

For merge I merged a post format change DERBY-1400
Again -x -b  worked fine.

So as far as I can tell, the developer burden for blame and merge would
be to add -x -b to the command.

I summarized these and other issues I could think of here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-5896?focusedCommentId=13433270&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13433270

Is there anything special that should be considered for Netbeans or
other concerns?   It might be good to add a tip on running expand to
ensure changes are detabified before commit. I will make a Wiki page
soon to make these tips more visible.

> I am unclear on what proposition will be put to a vote. Our existing
> coding conventions, such as they are, are set out by a vote which
> ended on 2006-08-16 (see
> http://old.nabble.com/-VOTE---Approve-coding-conventions-for-the-Derby-project-to5771191.html#a5771954).

> The already approved, existing conventions state that people should
> indent code using spaces, not tabs.

Well, that vote was honestly a mess and  held before I  understood the
formal vote should be a pure formality #:)     I don't think it was
approved  actually. DERBY-1363 is still open at least.  The new vote
would be:
----

"Please vote to  use only 4 space indentation and spaces for white
space  in Derby  code  moving forward (no tabs),  after  expanding tabs
in the trunk code base.  Note: Reformat of the code may necessitate
specifying -x -b options for svn  merge , blame  and diff commands when
operating on reformatted code.  Please vote:

[  ] +1   Switch to space indentation for derby moving forward after
expanding tabs for the trunk code base.
[  ] -1   Do not switch to all space indentation at this time. Keep a
mixed indentation environment moving forward.

"

Then we would change things like the Developers checklist [1]  to be
more definitive about indentation.
Does this text look ok  and agreeable ? I would like a vote as there has
been so much debate in the past and so much tab creep in client even
though it started out as all spaces.

Kathey

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyContributorChecklist